Saturday, July 17, 2010

House hunting

Day 6

The house that we had fell through. This not only stresses me out but it just plain sucks. I can't handle being stranded and homeless. It is really disheartening. Every time we go to a house to do a walk-through there are other families there looking also. Many times we have gone to do a walk through and someone else was there signing their contract. Apparently, it's not part of the German culture to say that someone else has already rented the home before you go to the house. Instead they let you drive 100km to get to them just to be turned away. It is so frustrating.

Instead of house hunting on our own, Adam and I have decided to get a realtor. It will end up costing us about 500 euro. As much as I don't want to pay for the help, it seems like the only option right now. I'm really stressed out about finding a house. It doesn't help that we have a lot of pressure on us from the housing office. They expect you to find a house in 10 days. I can guarantee that we will need more time than that.

On a positive note, over the last few days we have ventured out of our hotel room and into the German world. We ate at a German restaurant. Adam had Pork Schnitzel and beer. He loved the beer and the food was amazing. One of the strangest things to me is the tip. It is not customary to tip in Germany. The wait-staff doesn't even expect it. It's quite nice. We also started doing the German Rosetta Stone. I'm hoping it helps.

We have been car shopping in our spare time. We are going to buy a car on Wednesday when Adam passes his German license test. I CANNOT WAIT!! It will take so much stress off of us. The plan is to wait a few weeks after we get settled and then buy me a new car. We have looked at a 2010 Ford Focus and a Jeep. I'm excited to get everything together. Everyone keeps saying that these are the worst two weeks of the entire trip. I sure hope they are right.

I have decided to go to college and get my masters. I am going to the education department to talk about scholarships and enrollment. I'm excited to go back! I have also been applying for jobs on base. I'm hoping that I get a call back within a month. I need to work. I'm not good a being lazy and my extended vacation is getting old.

I hope to start going to the gym this week. I am going bright and early Monday morning to get a schedule for the classes offered on base. I hope to be spinning, yoga-ing, and pilates-ing as soon as possible.

This has been a random update. There will be plenty more to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment