Wednesday, July 14, 2010

House Hunting

Day 3

July 14, 2010

I woke up at 7:30am this morning which was a terrible idea seeing that I went to sleep at 5:30 am. I am having the worst time getting acclimated to this time change. I guess this will all get better in time but for now I'll just have to deal.

I woke up 3 hours earlier than was planned. My husband had left when I woke up and would be coming back around 10:30 am to pick me up to go look for houses. Either my excitement to get out of the hotel for the day or my messed up sleeping schedule stopped me from returning to sleep.

I decided to go on and get ready for the day. I showered and put on make-up. After I was all ready to go, I realized I still had an hour and a half left before I could leave. So in good-housewife fashion, I decided to clean (My mother would be proud).

The hotel room was a disaster. Not only are German people meticulous about cleanliness, they also don't believe in things like taking the trash out regularly or air conditions. As a result, there was over-flowing trash and luggage thrown about everywhere. This had to be handled.

I put away all the luggage which was quite the challenge as we have seven bags to deal with. I cleaned off all the counter tops and put away all of our electronics. I organized the mounds of junk food we have been living on (We have been stranded in our hotel every night after about 3 pm with no car and no means of transportation to get out and eat or do anything else).

In the midst of my cleaning frenzy there was a knock at my door. I was elated at the thought that my husband had possibly returned early to save me from my manic cleaning spree. To my surprise it was a little German lady.

This lady was exactly what you'd picture an older German lady to look like. She had brownish-blonde hair tied up in a bun and she was wearing a dress/apron with Birkenstocks. She started speaking to me. I'm sure I looked like a dear-in-headlights. I had no idea what she was saying as she was speaking German. This was the best example of a communication barrier that I'd ever witnessed. She muttered something in German, I'd respond in English. This went on for at least five minutes. Then she promptly turned around a left. I'm assuming she was the housekeeper trying to clean the room but I guess I'll never really know.

I resumed my cleaning making all the beds and cleaning up the bathroom. This went on for a good 30 minutes. I hung up my husbands uniforms that had been thrown over different pieces of furniture and gathered our laundry. When I was all finished I looked around and was pretty impressed with the work I'd done. My husband called and said he was on his way to get me. I grabbed my purse and ran down stairs.

I called him and asked him home much longer until he would be here to get me. He said they hadn't even left base yet and would probably be here in 15 minutes. I decided to use this time wisely and go explore the little town we were in. I walked up and down the streets around our hotel. I never went too far as I didn't really trust my husbands 15 minute estimate. The town is so cute. We definitely don't have towns like this back home. There are flowers in almost every window sill. Even the old houses have a certain vintage-like appeal to them. I was impressed.

In the middle of my exploration, I heard my husband call out to me. Our house-hunting adventure was starting and I'd actually get to see more of Germany than the street we were staying on. We had to have someone come and pick us up because we are not licensed to drive in Germany and don't have a car yet. The girl that picked us up was the spouse of a guy my husband works with. She was very helpful throughout the entire day.

The first house that we drove by was in the village of Hutschenhausen. It was cute but was clustered in with multiple other little town houses. We called the landlord to get a tour. She told us she'd call us back and let us know a time (she never did). The second house we looked at was right down the street. It was the apartment we REALLY wanted. It had huge bay windows, hardwood flooring and it was perfect for our price range. My husband dialed the landlord to make an appointment to see the apartment. Unfortunately, the house had been filled the day before. I was upset but ready to press on and see what we could find.

The next village we would be looking in was Kaiserslautern. It is one of the bigger villages in our area. We called the next landlord but he didn't answer either. We drove by the property. It was also a bunch of town houses clustered together. The outside was cute but I really needed to see the house. On the way to Kaiserslaturen, my husband had made an appointment at another location and we'd actually get to go into the building.

We drove to the cutest village that we'd seen all day. There were flowers everywhere and all the houses were very well maintained. We drove down a private drive to get to our appointment. When we approached we noted that it was a huge house. It was gated and there was a Lassie-looking dog running around outside. I told my husband that I thought this was someones house and that it freaked me out to live with other people. We entered the house and went down to the bottom floor. Much to my surprise, the house was set up for three different families. Each family would get their own floor, all the doors had their own locks and doorbells, and each floor had a special amenity. Plus, the view was extraordinary.

When we entered the apartment we immediately noticed the doors inside the house. They are all glass with a really cool modern feel. The first room we saw was the living room. It was huge and had two giant sliding glass doors that took us to our own personal backyard and patio (equipped with a roll out awning for shade). The dining room was magnificently large. The kitchen had been renovated and there was a little breakfast nook area inside the kitchen. The refrigerator was small per European standards but it was bigger than most we had seen. The master bedroom was double the size of my room back home. I was elated. The guest room had walk in storage space and was an average size room. The only problem was it was painted yellow and lime green.

Actually, the primary downfall of this apartment was paint color. The living room also had an unusual feel. There were big red triangles painted on the wall. I asked the landlady if she painted the rooms. She replied, "No, the previous tenant was umm.. artistic. You can paint whatever you want." I could've jumped for joy. Not only were the walls drywall so you could hang pictures, which is uncommon for Europe, but we could paint the rooms whatever color we wanted. This landlord seemed pretty mellow.

There were 1.75 bathrooms in the house. They were both a little outdated but that's nothing I can't deal with.

The house was on the bottom floor and half of it sat directly against a hill. As a result, the room felt so cool that I thought it was air conditioned. The floors were ceramic tile through out the house. In the winter, the heat goes through the floors, heating the tile. This was my favorite feature.

I could tell that my husband really liked the place. He kept asking me if I liked it and if it was what I expected. I loved it. The fact that I could redecorate a place and make it my own, was really appealing. Plus, all the utilities were included in our rent.

We decided to jump on this opportunity. We signed our lease without looking at another house. We exited the private drive with a little relief.

Upon returning to the hotel room, my husband gasped (literally). He asked me if I'd cleaned the room up. I said, "yes, before I left." He said, "man, I love you, you are too great." I smiled and thanked him. Then it hit me, the house hunt was over. One thing down, 7kajillion other things left to do



No comments:

Post a Comment